Sunday, March 15, 2009

Looking forward to the New Tata Sky DTH Ad – Aamir as an Old Sardar!


It seems TS is ready with their brand new commercial starring their brand ambassador, the epitome of experimental acting in Hindi cinema, popularly called “Aamir Khan”. This man can pull off anything. Look at those images that I had put up here a few days back, and he almost looks unrecognizable in some of them. That’s also quite literally the extent to which he gets under the skin of the character he portrays.

Aamir and TS resonate really well, both set standards in their respective domains, and both are well accepted by the audiences. Also the comfort level Aamir has with the brand Tata Sky, reflects in his onscreen presence in the Tata Sky ads. Which might also be one of the reason why TS ads are so effective!

This is what Aamir had to say about this ad, and I quote as below…

“As an actor it's challenging for me to try and play with my age. I am playing a sixty year old sardar for the new Tata Sky campaign...So you know the get up, all the make up for the eyes...trying to age the face...For an actor its always interesting and fun to play roles which not your own self. I have played all kinds of characters before but never a Sardar. Though I played a punjabi character in Rang De basanti but this is the first time as a sardar full on. When you have to get into a lot of make up, with the turban and the beard....I hate this beard as there is a lot of gum on them its very irritating ...but you gotta do it when you gotta do it. Initially I did get irritated because I have to put this body suit etc...But once I put it on and I look at myself, I get excited... when I see myself looking like this other person, then I forget the discomfort. Besides the irritation I am very particular about the wig being right and then I look at myself and I feel very happy, specially when the product comes out right. Tata Sky is a brand I am extremely comfortable associating myself with because of the kind of standards it believes in..in terms of the quality and service it offers and what the brand Tata Sky stands for”

I really don’t know what the storyline of the ad is, but knowing Tata Sky, I am sure it’ll be a great one. These images really point to an interesting communication context that TS might have worked on. I am really looking forward to seeing this ad!

1 comment:

amit said...

The new Aamir Khan ad is so cool..I am sure his fans must be impressed by him..and every one will start planning to get Tata Sky home..